Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Soldes! Soldes! Soldes!

I’m having some Fois Gras with figs and some fresh baked bread for dinner. Don’t get too excited; though I actually cooked the Fois Gras, it came prepared and frozen and all I had to do was follow some not too simple instructions. Well, it’s a bit tougher than that, even frozen, pre-packaged fois gras requires 24 hours and there are more than 3 steps involved. (No comments from the Chef gallery) But still, it’s quite tasty and really good with a nice glass of wine and a Pepsi. (Keeping that ever so precarious mix of stimulants and depressants balanced). Waiting for dessert to emerge from the oven, a homemade apple crumble. (or jumble)

Today was the first day of the famous French sales. Everything in every store, almost, is on sale. 30-50% off of purses, scarves, shoes, coats, makeup, perfume, jewelry, electronics, books… So I went into town. The boutiques in town have nothing but naked mannequins in their windows, wearing little banners a la Miss America, that say ‘Soldes’. All the stores have an ‘Everything Must Go’ look to them. And if there is something you’ve had your eye on all season, then today is the day to go, before all the good stuff gets snatched up.

I love being there for the craziness. All the people, all the pushing and shoving, sidewalks full of shoppers; it gives the whole town a pre-Christmas feel. The best part about today is that all the racks and bins are still full and mostly organized, as opposed to what they’ll look like by next week. I saw a pair of beeeautiful boots that I liked and a purse that I’ve had my eye on for the whole winter is now ½ off, it’s also the time to stock up on those jeans. Didn’t buy anything today so as not to appear too impulsive, but I may have to go back tomorrow or Friday.

……….

We leave for Tunisia bright and early on Saturday morning. On our flight out we change planes in Nice, but the return flight is direct Tunisia to Toulouse. Been reading the Lonely Planet guide and looking forward to the trip. I’m concerned about the whole Americans in a Muslim country thing, but S is unconcerned, and others I’ve talked to say that the Tunisian people are very welcoming and friendly.

Am working on some photos to post, hopefully I’ll get that done by Friday as ‘The Precious’ will not accompany me to Tunisia. Four days is a long time to be without it, but four days is to short a time to make it worth having to cart it through airports and carry it on to a plane etc.

That is all.

No comments: